Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wild Wild Wild West

11.08.2006


On Sunday morning, Ann, Robin from Nepal and myself drove down the country side of New mexico. We were going Horse-Riding at ranch. Yes, a real ranch. After driving down one of the most breathtaking country sides i have seen flanked by mountains at all ends, fields and beautiful native homes we reach the Lone Ranch in about 45 minutes.

Robin and myself are eagerly awaiting our first Horse-Riding lessons. Robin having lived and brought up in the country side of nepal did have some Horse-riding experience, Ann had been a professional rider but had not done it in many many years and myself who has just about sat on a pony at Cubbon park when I was a kid. The owner makes us sign some liability papers saying if we get injured, we are responsible for it. A little scary and amusing considering what could happen if the Horse throws me off or kicks me. Anyway, a beautiful young girl called Tyra joins us along with her dad to give us horse-riding lessons. I get a beautiful horse called Comanci who is a male but for some reason I though it was a She. Well, I get onto the horse no problems with that but as soon we start our trek I feel the jitters going doing my spine and for some reason my orse decides to be the very last.

Well, I figure it out eventually, Comanci loved to stop at every grassy pasture and feed herself to a royal snack. Tyra kept telling me to pull the reins and move her on, but knowing me - I just kept requesting comanci to thrudge on - "Sweetheart you are the best, the very best, now come on, let's move on" but he kn ew he had a kind heartd rider and took full advantage of it.

We trudged along a riding trail going through bushes, rocks, climbing a little bit of a small hill and through trenches. They say "The Horse takes on the spirit and personality of its rider" and it definitely seemed true with Comanci and me. I wanted to do a leisurely ride, watching the country side, stopping at times, enjoying and have a calm, peaceful ride and Comanci just seemed to know that. I loved it.

Tyra was just ahead of me on her horse and it was interesting to talk to her about living and growing up in ranch among horses. The horses here were her best friends and companions. Someone she could talk to and confide in. She seemed to love her life here at the ranch. Another nteresting facet to her personality was she was interested in world-religions and was studying Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism. Wow! Can you imagine a young 16-year old in the middle of a country home in Sante Fe, New Mexico excited about World Religions and learning to look at the positive aspects of these religions. One more young inspiring person to add to my list.

The trek over, we got off our horses and my petted mine for a long long time. It seemed like I was letting go of an old friend. It was strange that I had become friends with a horse in less than two hour that we spent together. Well, we did take a few photgraphs and we were off on our way with a smile on our faces, a jump in our step and a slightly hurting ass.

I was really happy that Ann gave me this most beautiful gift and I was glad that because of me she was able to get back to her horse-riding. Ann used to horse-ride very actively many years back and that too high in the mountains and also those beautiful memories came back to her as she drove us back. I could feel a faint sadness in her voice as she reminisced her days gone by but I was also amazed to the see her youthful energy as she waved us goodbye saying she will get back to horse-riding again. I do hope she does.

Love you Ann!!!

No comments:

Popular Posts