Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Shivkumar

09.04.2006


A puny little thing, must not be more than 3-4 years old but talks like a 10 year old visits my house on his daily rounds. What daily rounds? It is his daily round with the hawker who sells Chaat (An Indian specialty short eats combo that is spicy and delicious). The man who runs this mobile cart on four wheels, brings shivkumar along to help him cleanup, wash plates and I am quite positive also to keep him some good company :). Shivkumar talks incessantly in his pittar-patter Tamil (One of the thousands of Indian Regional languages).

A sharp, shrill voice that can be heard almost till the end of the lane, shivkumar can talk about everything under the sun and its only been twice that I have met him now. The first time round, he was quite wary of me especially when I tried making friends with him. He was all ready to punch me till I started a exciting game with him. I asked him to hit my palm while I tried to swerve it away. He got quite engrossed in the game and ofcourse hit me quite a bit with his super reflexes. A game and some chocolates did the trick and atleast initiated our friendship with he revealing his name in grand style "ShivvvvKuuummmar!". He shared his chocolate with his Boss (If I may so call the Hawker). He was quite alert with the food orders too and speedily delivered them to houses in our neighbourhood. I was also quite impressed with his mathematical skills as he collected the money and swiftly got the change, checking it once before returning the change.

The second time around, I heard him right at the beginning of the lane apparently advising his Boss on the skills to run a profitable business and about how to treat their customers. Hmmmm!!! Quite an entertainer that he is, he has endeared himself to most houses in the neighbourhood. He rushed up to our house to get an order. He saw me and gave me a punch in my stomach remembering our game from the last time and in his characteristic style asked me, "How I was doing?". I was immediately excited to see him. I gave him a few sweets. Shivkumar, put them close to his eyes. This is a traditional way in South India to Thank God for the food provided and put the food in his pocket. He wanted to share the same with his boss. Shiv kept us entertained all through his stay.

He delivered our order and collected the money, counting the seven rupees owed to him in a jiffy and stayed on for a bit longer. His boss started moving the cart and immediately he rapped at his boss to wait on for him or he will punch him and rushed down to join his boss.

He left an indelible impression in my mind. Shiv, so full of energy, enthusiasm, and childlike innocence. After many years in the social sector, I have come to realise that sometimes children have to work and while this is truly undesiarable, it may not be so bad because, the children mould into the work role quite easily and make it their own learning ground just like Shiv. Though I know he would also immensely enjoy living a true, carefree childhood.

I look forward to meeting Shiv again soon and continue our journey of life, experiences and some pleasant memories together. Hopefully, I may be able to give him a childhood that he and millions others in our country truly deserve. I am optimistic!

No comments:

Popular Posts