Friday, August 3, 2012

The Pigeon with closed eyes

It is said that when a pigeon sees a cat, it closes its eyes. That way, It assumes that since the pigeon can't see the cat, the cat does not exist and that is its folly. I sometimes feel like the Pigeon who has closed its eyes to escape accepting the inevitable.

I read about the murder of a couple in broad daylight as front page news. I read about 650 Million people living in a blackout for many hours. I hear about the many men and women who are fasting for a corrupt free India. I read about how a group of men harassed and molested young men and women who were celebrating a birthday. I see a beautiful tree being cut outside our office because it was mingling with the power lines and causing power outages. I reluctantly fight with our builder everyday who has scant respect for keeping his word or being accountable. I face challenges with labour at our apartment everyday who promise to come but don't land up.

Yet, every morning, I find my way to office to work on a vision of a society which is based on values of dignity, respect and accountability. I make myself believe that if I continue doing this, someday the above issues will disappear.

I feel and act like the pigeon that ignores the impending doom, the hopeless situation and closes its eyes to believe that there is indeed no danger. I wonder, if I live in hopelessness waiting for the inevitable to happen or I live in hope that things will indeed change. I wonder if it is innate motivation that makes me do what I do or its just a shrugged acceptance of the reality and I use my passion for a cause as a distraction from the inevitable hopelessness of our times.

I wonder!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I say, I am a nation builder, I am not.

When others say, he is a nation builder, then I am.

Popular Posts