Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Colours Come Alive at Ananya

December 18th 2006

I got an opportunity to travel across the world in the last few months, saw many a wonder, enjoyed the treasures and many splendours, met inspiring people and yet the one thing that made me really happy was when I saw Pratap, Pallavi and Shivkumar at Ananya today. The immense feeling of joy, happiness and content that is a rarity in our stress-filled day today was experienced by me today. No amount of travel or new experiences gave me the happiness that I experienced today. You may be wondering where I was? I was invited to the Parent’s Day Program at Ananya today. The entire Dream A Dream Management Team decided to close down our office today and reconnect with the children.

We entered Ananya to loud cheers and cacophony of the ever-excited children at Ananya. I was greeted at the entrance by a beautiful and vividly colourful painting on the wall made by the children and facilitated by our International Volunteers – Paul and Nick. Beautiful indeed! The walls and classrooms across the center were sprawled with beautiful paintings and project work done by the children. It was the Parent’s Day at Ananya and children had displayed everything they had learnt for their parents and well-wishers of Ananya to see. The children were in their proudest best today as they showcased their masterpieces. I don’t remember ever been so proud of homework or my notebook in school.

A walk around the display area was mesmerizing to say the least. I learnt about the different kinds of stitch that can be done on cloth. I revisited my Kannada Classes as the kids made me read Kannada and proudly corrected me when I went wrong. What was interesting was that their attitude was that of patience and helping. They were patient with my mistakes and taught me to read slowly and well. A true reflection of the kind of education they get at school.

This was followed by a Treasure Hunt that involved the parents, guests and children. Chaos broke loose as all children ran amock trying to find clues and ultimately the treasure. It was ofcourse most interesting to see us guests and parents trying to play catchup with the speed and pace of the children. This was followed by a beautiful video presentation of Ananya which brought together views of children, teachers and the parents. Ananya is such a beautiful community program – involving parents, children and the community itself. Followed by a sumptuous lunch served with the ever endearing eyes and care of Shivamma who makes the best tea in the world because she puts in so much of a dose of love in it.

I actually got a chance to finish my meeting nearby and come back to Ananya in the evening and Shivamma promptly made her super delicious tea for me. I was there just for a few minutes, but Shivamma insisted I had tea before I left and that’s what makes Ananya so very special – it represents love, care and nurturing and this is seen in the children. As I crossed the gates of Ananya into the sunset and the chaos of my life, I could still here the carefree laughter of the children and the beautiful words of the children “Uncle, don’t go, stay with us tonight” still ringing in my ears.

I reconnected with my reason for being today. It is to make this world as beautiful, colourful and peaceful place for children and learn from them how to do it. Thank you everyone at Ananya.

No comments:

Popular Posts