Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mohammad

13.12.2005


I met a young kid some days back, Mohammad and was instantly connected to him. He sells gas-lamps at a small shop. Short, twinkling excited eyes - a chatterbox. "A big cylinder refill is Rs. 85/- and a small cylinder refill is Rs. 60/- and please don't ask for discount sir, its a fixed rate.." he rambles on non-stop. I get my refill done and wait to get some change. He promptly gives me a 500 rupee note and asks me to get change from a nearby petrol bunk. "what! he is asking me to get change..no way", I try to wriggle out of the situation bt he is too good with his words..pat comes the replies,"i have already gone there 3-times today and they will not give me change, you can get it and moreover you look older."

This kid had confidence, the gift of the gab and a evergreen smile. I ask him why he works here and why is not in school. He says he had a fight with his best friend in school and since that day he has dropped out of school. I ask him why not another school. Mohammad says, "There is no other school I wish to go, that's it, I have decided" and he runs off across the road for some reason..leaving me to go...

Before I leave, he rushes back and gives me a million dollar smile...:) I go home, with more questions, more doubts and yet a strange happy feeling that Mohammad will be just fine even if he never goes to school.

No comments:

Popular Posts