Sunday, October 27, 2013

Seven Sisters Primary School

I visited the Seven Sisters Primary School, a government supported school but unique in its own way because it embraced and opened its arms for children from all nationalities, religions and ethnicity. I got the opportunity and privilege to visit the school through an other friend who was going to do a story-telling project with 9-year olds at the school.

The first thing that hit me when I entered the school was the variety of colours of humans / children that I saw. Smiling blacks, browns and whites :). I was surprised to see that no one was surprised to see me - a brown coloured Indian for lack of a better term.

The second thing that hit me was how close the school looked to my Dream Home. Colourful classes, wide benches, trees, graffiti, playgrounds, art rooms, etc. Oh! In my life-time, I want as many Dream Homes for children as the number of years left in my life.

The children were from all over the world - Indian, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Iranian, from Mauritius, Africa, and from UK too. They spoke lovely english and were very intelligent. The story was long and in parts difficult and boring. Over 12 pages long, even I dozed off for 10 Mins but the children participated actively in the discussion afterwards and came up with some really smart comments on the story. The children were enthusiastic and did not hesitate to speak up, to share their opinions, to agree or disagree. I saw some lovely life skills at work. The most beautiful aspect was that they were not conscious that each of them came from different backgrounds, countries and cultures. It was truly diversity at work.

Such an entralling experience it was to be surrounded by children from such diverse abckgrounds and all under one roof. I wish the larger world outside could become like that.

I walked away trying to remember 20 names but managed just a few - Akram, Natasha, Gorken, Ridwan, Manya, Jodie. All ,ovely children who in that 2 hours taught me about love, togetherness and life skills. I came away more certain than ever, that the Dream Home will happen.

No comments:

Popular Posts