Thursday, May 2, 2013

Taxi Drivers in Amreeka!


There is something quite engaging and beautiful about interactions with Taxi Drivers in the US. There are emigrants from other countries and there are people whose past few generations have grown up in US. 

There are whites, latinos, African americans, Asians and each have a story to share. They love conversations with their passengers and sometimes give you nuggets of wisdom that is quite brilliant.

An Indian from Haryana who has been here for just 3 years talked about how he plans from move from driving a taxi to driving trucks because there is more money and a long-term career in truck driving. An American, might be in his late sixties gives me his views on the homeless people about how they migrate from the north to the south (mostly hitchhiking) because it is warmer in the south. Which is why one sees more Homeless people in San Francisco as opposed to Seattle.

On a question I asked about discrimination against African Americans in the US, the driver said that the African Americans do not wish to mingle, they wish to stay within their own neighbourhoods and communities. This I thought was a strong statement but was fascinated to here an honest comment about how he saw it after all the diplomatic comments I had heard in many many meetings.

An Ethiopian driver realizing I was Indian went onto to mention MithunDa and Govinda, famous movie stars in India in the 90’s era and start singing “I am a Disco Dancer”. I was so pleasantly surprised and happy and totally thrilled to hear him say a few Hindi words and give me a big broad smile. I, ofcourse, didn’t want to break his excitement by saying that the above actors have long since become old and are not so popular in India anymore. I guess I wanted both of us to stay with our happy feelings.

Another time, a driver dropping us to the airport became a self-proclaimed tour guide and gave us interesting tit-bits of places along the route to the airport.

A really old driver who was once taking all of us and our bags to the airport was struggling to put our big bags into the trunk and when I offered to help him, he declined saying he will be fine. I could not see him struggling and just decided to help him anyway and without saying a word we felt a deep connection.

I have really enjoyed my cab rides and my conversations with drivers. They have entertained me, given me insights, shared their stories and their wisdom. I have felt a deep human connection with them and they have helped me feel welcome in their cabs. All I can say is, Thank You!

No comments:

Popular Posts