Thursday, May 26, 2011

Why I will never bargain!

Having brought up in a largely middle class family upbringing, I have always learnt to bargain for everything - from the vegetable vendor in the market, to the grocery store, to the restaurant down the road, to the stationery store, to the gift store. I used to admire my mother at her ability to bargain, bargain and bargain some more. She was notorious amongst the sellers in our neighbourhood for her bargaining and loved by all for her generosity and good nature too. I believe, she believed, bargaining was her birthright and she did get that from her mother, my grandmother. I also know that money was not easy to come by those days so every paisa mattered and counted and my mother wanted the best for her children, so bargaining was the way to go.

Over the years, our financial status did improve and there was less and less of bargaining. With more shops, shopping malls and large stores, the bargaining power also gradually disappeared. Today, my mom bargains more out of habit than out of need. It is sometimes quite amusing that my mom bargains to save Rs. 10 from a vegetable vendor and yet pays the full price or sometimes higher for the same vegetables at a branded store.

Anyway, things have changed and surprisingly, I never picked my my mother's bargaining gene. Albeit, I hardly ever bargain and when I do I feel guilty that I might have cheated the poor man of his earnings. I also realize, bargaining does not sit well with my values. If I bargain at a place where I can and don't at a place where I can't, I am not being fair. If that's the case, either I choose to bargain at both places or don't bargain at all. It seems simple enough for me to understand that whether its a store or a local vegetable vendor, both wish to make some profit so that they can improve their quality of life. I suspect the store makes more profit from me than the local vegetable vendor. Yet, I bargain with the vegetable vendor.

I have also realized that when the vendor realizes I don't bargain, he ends up giving me a fair price and their sense of fairness has always been more trustworthy. I know I might be judgmental here but its just my personal experience.

Finally, if a vegetable vendor does make a little extra on me, atleast it gives him space to be able to bargain with someone like my mom so net-net, he still ends up making the same money.

I think the biggest (bar)gain for me is to have the small chat with the vendor, share a smile and a joke and go along in our journey of life having enriched each other's life for a moment. That is a lot more precious to me than a grumpy, sulky affair where both of us feel cheated inspite or because of the bargaining. Bargaining seems like too much of a price to pay for the loss of a lovely conversation and smile.

Hence, No bargaining for me and I am glad my Mom might never read this :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet and well said. It's a point to ponder on!

cinnmint said...

I totally agree with what you say. Infact taking it from your today's status on FB about the auto driver. I have this theory I use when I am in a new city.
I ask the localites how much it would take to get from point A to B. When I take the auto I know that the driver might charge more considering I don't know the language so I usually agree to a 20 to 30 rupees more. I have realised that most times the person does not take longer routes or avoids saying I don't know the way and charge more...

Popular Posts