Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Making a Difference

"I want to make a difference!", said my friend today when I asked her what is she passionate about. The sentence resonated with me and took me back a few years when as a young 21-year old, the same statement burnt like a undying flame in my heart. "I want to make a difference!" and suddenly it all became very clear to me.

Making a difference happens in the small everyday things and moments of our life and not it a larger than life goals with set for ourselves.

Making a difference happens when that person also leaves a deep positive impact on us. hence, its always an exchange of equals and it is always a barter of giving and receiving at both ends.

As I shared these thoughts with my friend, they rang loud and clear in my head and I had suddenly articulated a thought that had been in my head for long. I felt alive and rejuvenated. The beauty of this statement that had defined my passion and my friend's too dawned on me.

I looked at all the moments when a person makes a difference in my life and I in theirs.

The gentleman who comes to serve tea/coffee to our office. His smile, his eccentricities, his "Good Morning Sir" brightens up my day and makes a difference to my life. The acknolwedgement, love and warmth that he gets in our office makes a difference to his life.

I make a difference when I smile at a stranger on road, sometimes leaving him with a weird quizzical look but I am sure his heart is smiling for connecting with mine. Sometimes when I get a smile back, oh wow - it makes my day.

Making a difference is actually pretty easy, we just need to find that one moment everyday when we do make a difference. Smiling to someone who serves us, look at them in their eye when we thank them, say hello to the people we meet on road and sometimes even just thanking GOD for the beautiful world around us and we realize that the winds take our smile far and wide and plant it on someone who needs a smile.

I made a difference to my friend today and she made a remarkable difference to my life.

~ to my young friend. Thank you for helping me rediscover my passion.

No comments:

Popular Posts